Homemade fettuccine carbonara

This recipe is one of my absolute favourite comfort foods. It's just like giving yourself a big hug in a bowl!

Of course, you can serve carbonara sauce with spaghetti or tagliatelle, but for me, the silky ribbons of fettuccine provide the right ratio of pasta to sauce. Achieving that silky smoothness in your pasta is easy with the right equipment – a pasta machine. I've also used a rolling pin, and on one occasion, a full wine bottle (that's a story for another time :)). The pasta machine makes light work of the task and is also fun!.

I've had my pasta machine since I was 15. I keep it in its original box and simply adore it. I've considered upgrading to an electric machine, but for just my family, the manual hand crank isn't burdensome to use and gives me lots of satisfaction. For those days when I just don't have the energy to make up the fettuccine, dried packaged pasta fills the need. It doesn't, however, possess the same level of love and care that a bowl of homemade pasta provides. Fresh pasta cooks much faster than dried, so be ready with your sauce before adding the pasta to the water.

I have considered upgrading to an electric machine, but for just my family, the manual hand crank is not onerous to use, and gives me lots of satisfaction. For those days when I just don't have the energy to make up the fettuccine, dried packaged pasta fills the need. It doesn't however, have the same level of love and care, that a bowl of home made pasta provides. Fresh pasta cooks much faster than dried, so be ready with your sauce before adding the pasta to the water.

If you're making pasta in a humid or warm room, the volume of liquid needed to achieve a soft pliable dough can vary. I sometimes find that I need to add an extra egg, especially if my eggs are a bit small. A large egg weighs 50-59g, an extra-large egg weighs 60-67g, and a jumbo one weighs 67-72g (including shell). If the dough is too dry, you can sprinkle on some water. If it's too sticky, add some extra flour. The perfect dough shouldn't stick to your fingers.

When cutting the pasta, it's important to keep the strands separated and floured. I use a pasta tree to do this, but I've also covered a broomstick with foil and hung it between two chairs to hang the pasta from.

Serves 2

Pasta:

• 200 g plain flour

• 2 extra-large eggs

• Pinch of salt

Carbonara sauce

• 150 g bacon or pancetta cut into fine batons (approx 2 middle rashers)

• 15 g butter

• 1 egg + 1 egg yolk

• 1 clove garlic peeled

• 20 g parmesan cheese grated

• 50 ml cream

• salt and pepper to taste


Place the flour and salt in a mound on your bench. Make a well and break the eggs directly into the well.

Using a fork, slowly incorporate the flour into the eggs.

Continue to combine until a soft dough is formed. Knead gently until smooth. Wrap pasta dough in clingfilm and place in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes.

Using a pasta machine, roll into lengths approximately 25 cm long and 3-4 mm thick (This is usually using 3 or 4 adjustments on your pasta rollers).

Using the fettucine cutter, or a sharp knife, cut into thin strips approx 5 mm wide.

Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil (3/4 tsp salt per litre water).

Meanwhile melt butter in a large frypan, fry garlic for 2 minutes then remove from the pan. Add the bacon and fry for 5 minutes. Stir in the cream, bring to the boil and remove from the heat.

In a small bowl, beat the egg, yolk and parmesan.

Add pasta to the boiling water and cook for about 3 minutes. When cooked, drain the pasta - reserving about 1/2 cup of the pasta liquid. Return the pasta to the pot, add the bacon and cream mixture. Mix well. Add the egg mixture and mix well. If a little dry add a small amount of the reserved liquid.

Serve immediately, in individual bowls - sprinkle with chopped parsley and cracked pepper.


Updated July 2023


Comments

Popular Posts