The sticky smell of apricots fills the air...

It must be summer!!
Our ever faithful apricot tree, which for years has looked like it is on her last legs, has yet again provided us with a bumper crop.

We returned from our summer holidays to find about 3 kilos of apricots dropped on the ground :(
Luckily the old tree had many more left and I have made my first batch of jam. There is at least 2 batches left to ripen on the tree if the birds and possums don't get to them first!

Apricot jam
3kgs apricots
3 kgs white sugar
4 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups water

Wash fruit thoroughly. Cut into quaters, reserving stones. Place friut, lemon juice and water into a wide, non reactive pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes.

Using a meat mallot, remove kernels from half the stones, discarding all debris. Reserve for final stage

Meanwhile, heat your sugar in a low oven (150 degrees C) until hand hot.

If you like smooth jam, use a stick processor to puree (but be careful, the mix is very hot!) Add sugar and reserved kernals and boil hard until setting stage is reached (approx 12 minutes - start testing at 104 degrees C)

Carefully ladel into sterilised jars ensuring that kernels are distributed evenly amongst jars.

Comments

Unknown said…
dads favourite. often gets shared with friends on pikelets and scones.
Unknown said…
I have just made my first attempt ever at making jam. Apricot jam to be precise. Like you I am trying to beat the sneaky possum & the weather. I am over the moon with my success. Thank you for the recipe. I am also a new member of the CWA here in Yetman NSW. Who knows maybe I can enter my jam in the comp some day.
Marie Vassallo said…
Fantastic Betsy. Beware though, making Jam is addictive!

Popular Posts