The handing down of traditions...

Yesterday I had the wonderful opportunity of saying goodbye to my grandmother, Nancy Thyne before she passed away peacefully. On the night before, and on the flight over to Adelaide, I took stock of my memories with Gramma, and most revolved around food. Usually badly cooked food, but food none the less. :)It was Gramma who taught me how to make piklets, in her little kitchen in Langham Place. She was having friends over for afternoon tea and I was put in charge of the piklets. Keen to whip the cream, I was enthusiastic about my task. Little did I know, there was a trick to knowing when to turn them over! What a mess!!!!!!!

Gramma returned to the kitchen to find no piklets, and batter covering 3 eggslides, the walls, the bench... Normally Gramma would have been quite upset, but her guests were already here, so quick to another batch. I was given strict instructions not to turn them over until she said so. So I waited, Gramma got sidetracked and batch 2 burnt to a crisp! Luckily for all concerned, I had learnt the trick by batch 3 and afternoon tea was saved :) In fact, most of my Gramma cooking stories involve black bits - custard, roasts, cakes but those are stories for another day.

So in honour of Gramma, here is my piklet recipe (gluten free now of course)

Gluten free piklets

1/2 cup rice flour
1 1/4 cups gluten free self raising flour
1/3 cup castor sugar
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
300ml milk
2 eggs
60g butter melted
  • Sift the flours into a bowl. Stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre.

  • Whisk the eggs, milk and melted butter

  • Pour into well and whisk until the batter is smooth

  • Lightly grease a frypan with extra butter.

  • Ladle batter into the pan and cook over low-medium heat until bubbles appear on the surface

  • Turn over and gently cook on the other side.

  • Repeat with remaining batter

  • Enjoy with Rie's Kitchen raspberry jam and some whipped cream.

This recipe (without the castor sugar) also doubles as great Yorkshire pudding. To cook, heat a little oil in muffin or patty tins in a hot oven. Spoon in batter and cook for 25-35 minutes (depending on the size you made them)

Comments

Popular Posts