Preserving masterclass

I was very excited last week to both attend as a delegate, and to take a workshop at the Country Women's Association of Victoria's Preserving Masterclass. The Masterclass was held over two days.

classmates efforts
provided by Barb Porter
Friday was advanced preserving techniques presented by Barb Porter, and Saturday was basic techniques presented by me. Friday, as one of the 12 participants we focused on getting first prize at an agricultural show for dried and preserved fruits.
Have you ever wondered how clever people got jars to look like this?


my effort - orange and apple pre-cooked
semi dried tomatoes in olive oil
The secret is patience, simple tools like bamboo skewers and a bit of "smoke and mirrors"!
I was so happy with the dried fruits class that I "accidentally" purchased a dehydrator. I then spent the last few days making semi-dried tomatoes!


The on Saturday was my class with 15 eager participants. We preserved up a storm: tomato sauce, marmalade, berry jam, bread and butter pickles, preserved lemons and passatta! A lot to get through in 6 hours! but with much laughter, sharing of tips and tricks, and magic helpers (the Cooking committee who both cleaned up the dishes and fed us!) the 2 days were quite a success.

Comments

Popular Posts