experimenting with sour dough part 2

Its been a few weeks now since my English breakfast muffins post. I have been trying to decide which type of sourdough I want to concentrate on.
A few things I have learner thus far:
  1. every stage takes longer in cold weather - activating the starter, preparing the sponge, proving all take at least another 50% longer than in warmer months
  2. steam in the initial stages of cooking really does give a better crust!
  3. a good quality, heavy bread tin makes all the difference
before proving
So my latest loaf was buckwheat and pumpkin sourdough. It was very slow to prove, eventhough it was in the lounge with the heater on and the room was around 18 degrees.


finished result
The loaf, though lacking in height, was sweet and delicious. It wasn't crumbly at all, and was the perfect accompaniment to my broccoli and blue cheese soup.

Comments

Popular Posts