Chicken Cacciatore

Chicken Cacciatore is a fantastic winter warmer that's perfect for feeding a crowd. There are probably as many recipes for this dish as there are nonnas! My introduction to it didn't come from any of my Maltese relatives, but from a cookbook I received when I was about 10, aptly titled "My First Cookbook". This gem of a book includes culinary classics like eggman salad, baked bean hotpot, pineapple upside-down cake and chicken cacciatore. Even though the version I whip up today has evolved considerably from the one in that childhood cookbook, its influence on my current rendition is undeniable.

Over the years, I've incorporated several adaptations and nuances to my version of this comforting dish. For instance, I've developed a fondness for the briny sharpness that capers add to the rich tomato sauce. I've also introduced red wine into the mix, lending a deeper, more robust flavour to the sauce and enhancing the complexity of the dish. The resultant recipe, while differing from the original, remains true to the spirit of Chicken Cacciatore - a hearty, satisfying meal that brings warmth and joy to any dining table.

Serves 2 -3

Ingredients:
• 3 chicken maryland or six pieces of chicken
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• Carrot, diced
• Garlic, finely sliced 
• 20 g capers
• 250 ml red wine
• 100 g black olives
• 1 can tomatoes
• Olive oil

Method:
Preheat oven to 180°C (fan forced)
Heat olive oil in a heavy based pot. Place Chicken in pot and fry until skin is golden all over. Remove chicken from pot. Gently fry onion until translucent.
Return chicken to the pot and add remaining ingredients. Cover and place in oven for 30 minutes. Check fluid level, you may need to add a cup of water or red wine to prevent the chicken from drying out. Cook another 30 minutes.

Serve with freshly cooked pasta, cooked soft polenta or creamy mashed potatoes and crusty bread.

Updated July 2023

Comments

Popular Posts