Blessed are the Cheese makers!

getting ready to add the starter
I think that's the first time I have quoted Monty Python in my blog, but everyone I have told of my exploits of yesterday has quoted me the line "Blessed are the Cheese makers" from The Life of Brian. Maybe that just says something about the sense of humour of my friends...

Anyway, yesterday I had a fantastic day on the Bellarine Peninsular learning the craft of cheddering. During the course of the day we made a 200g block of cheddar cheese and about 250g of fresh ricotta cheese.



It was such fun! The bottles that you can see weighing down the cheese are full of the "whey" that we produced during the cheese making process. It is very good to feed tomatoes and citrus, so my garden will get to enjoy the fruits of my labour as well.


Lindsay stirring the pot!
Pressing the "cheddared curd" into the hoops
It is remarkable that it took 5 litres of non-homogenised milk ( see picture below) to make each block of cheese.
Cheddar in first stage of pressing (almost finished for the day)
  I can certainly say that now knowing the secret of fresh ricotta, I will never buy ricotta again. It is so quick to make, and unbelievably good!

Thanks to Corinne from Drysdale Cheese for showing us the "tips" to this amazing ancient tradition.

Comments

Popular Posts