From the ashes...

After such a hot January/February which decimated my 7 Roma tomato plants, I was fearful that my famous tomato sauce would be in short supply this year.

Then came "Black Saturday" which was a disaster here in Victoria in more ways than one. A hydroponic tomato grower in Gippsland, although not affected by fire directly lost his entire crop when water pumping equipment was destroyed and the temperature reached 48 degrees! He donated over 100 kgs to the CWA for fundraising purposes. Through my contacts, I was lucky enough to receive 52 kgs of ripe red tomatoes. (I only discarded 3 tomatoes out of all of that!!) The tomatoes were of high quality, too small for the supermarket chains.

So sauce I made!! 98 bottles in total. I only stopped when I ran out of bottles, and so reverted to chutney instead! (All gluten free of course!)

The majority of what I produced that week will be donated and onsale at the CWA Harvest Fair on March 21 (3 Lansell Rd, Toorak). All proceeds raised will go towards the work that CWA is doing for fire and drought affected people throughout Victoria.

Comments

Popular Posts