Portarlington Mussel festival 2013

Maggie Beer watch out - here I come!

For those of you who have read my posts, you will know that I have been harbouring a desire to "be Maggie Beer". Well last Saturday, on January 12th, I certainly felt like I was alot closer to this goal.

For the last 5 years, +Myles Abbott and I have volunteered, with scores of others to support the  Portarlington mussel festival . This growing festival, has become a real crowd pleaser with an estimated 30,000 coming on Saturday. For local reporting check out: .surfcoast times article , and intown article.

This year, with a bigger festival planned, I was asked to undertake cooking demonstrations on the hour, from 10am until 4 pm. I was fortunate to arrange an agreement with the  The Country Women's Association of Victoria to loan the Blanco kitchen equipment that was donated. In return, the Portarlington mussel festival committee have made a stand for the new cooktop, and will be purchasing a mirror to go on the stand.

Sometimes, you surprise even yourself.
I have to admit, I'm not one short of the "gift of the gab", but I was a bit nervous when I saw that I had my own marquee and 60 seats!Here I am with Dick, President of the festival organising committee, (and safety officer on the day) getting a hug of encouragement before I start. You can see Bev Noss in the background (our Aunt) and wife of the secretary of the committee, who coincidently got Myles and I involved in the first place.
The recipes on offer over the 5 sessions were, Mussels with anchovy and parsley butter, baked mussels and deep fried mussels. I even had my own sign!! Next year I will ask to have some Rie's Kitchen signage on the stage as well.

Surprisingly the crowds rolled in!
Getting ready to add the topping for baked mussels
Describing how to debeard mussels whilst making mussels with anchovy and parsley butter
gift of the gab!


Comments

Popular Posts